[Zope-Coders] removing RCS ids causes error on startup

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 11:22:23 -0400

Steve Alexander wrote:

> I used this from the ZopeCVS FAQ to update my sandbox branch with the HEAD.
>
> ----
> Note that you can also use the -kk option with cvs update to avoid
> spurious conflict messages (when the only things that conflict are the
> RCS expansions) when you are performing merges:
>
> cvs update -kk -d -j brian-foo-branch
> ----
>
> However, I find that ZServer/medusa/resolver.py won't start up, because
> of this:
>
> RCS_ID =  '$Id$'

> VERSION = string.split(RCS_ID)[2]
>

> When I fix that (by sticking a valid RCS id in), I'm getting core dumps
> all of a sudden... I don't know whether removing RCS ids could cause
> that though, or whether it is something else I'm doing, or something
> wrong with the trunk.

Did you mean to use "cvs update -dP -r brian-foo-branch"?  That way you
get the repository as Brian sees it.  -j gives you a combination of
whatever branch you're in and the given branch, which might not be
compatible.

Shane