[Zope-Coders] Re: test failures in TAL

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:36:40 +0100

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>
>>If I said the following, would it be sufficient:
>>
>>    These packages require older versions of Python, because they are
>>    available as separate packages to customers running older versions
>>    of Zope and/or Python.
>>

> That would be true for *any* Zope product at all. Generally people use
> older releases if they use an older Zope. This can't be the sole reason,
> as it seems to be untrue for many other Zope packages. It also begs the
> question as to when support for 1.5.2 will go away. Never?
>
> Anyway, I'd like to see this spelled out for each package seperately,
> as it's obviously already raising 'why?' questions.

I'd like to see some sort of exit condition on the support for Python
1.5.2, such as

   "Foo Product will need to support Python 1.5.2 until all the Zope
    Corp customers using Zope 2.3 have migrated to Zope 2.4 and above"

or whatever the reason is in a particular case.

Then, we have a testable condition to see when support for Python 1.5.2
can cease.

Even if the reason is "cos we say so", I'd like the requirement to
support Python 1.5.2 to be owned by someone:

    "Foo Product need to support Python 1.5.2 because Zope Corp says so.
     The owner of this requirement is Joe Smith <j.smith@zope.com>".

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer