[Zope-Coders] patch submissions

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:33:46 -0400

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
>  > You've reached the right audience, as this list is specifically for the
>  > folks who are empowered to evaluate and check such patches in.  You
>  > could mail a description of the problem, with patch, to us, or upload
>  > it someplace and send a link.
>
> Chris McDonough writes:
>  > I for one will never be able to keep up with patch submissions this way.
>  > I hope other folks can.
>
>   Having a list for development discussions is crucial, but will not
> work for patch management -- there is a real need for some sort of
> "collector" or "tracker" for this purpose.  We certainly found out we
> couldn't manage patches on a list with the Python "patches" list
> (before Python moved to SourceForge, we used *only* the list) -- we
> lost an enormous amount of contributed effort to the email backlog.

We plan to have the new zope.org site, with collector, up-and-running
Real Soon Now (TM) (in fact, we could just create the collector on
new.zope.org, I think, and handle dumping and reloading it if / when we
re-migrate from the existing www.zope.org content).

In the meantime, we need *some* mechanism, especially for bugs related
to security.

Tres.