[Zope-Coders] Python Versions, Zope Versions, etc

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:29:20 -0400

> I do have a bit of a niggle w.r.t. backporting functionality. While
> this can only be a good thing, how do other people feel about the
> possibility that Zope 3 may never actually 'ship' as a result and we
> end up with a vastly improved Zope 2 line, but still with the cruft
> that's been there since the dawn of time?

Sometimes this is what happens.  Sometimes it's better to let cruft
sit around (or at least let it decay gradually) and put more effort in
higher application levels.  E.g. a better OS design than Unix is
possible.  But it's better to stick with Unix because it's not so bad
and lets us concentrate on the higher levels.  (Nature figured this
out billions of years ago -- our DNA is full of genes for stuff that
we don't need any more.)