[Zope-Coders] Python Versions, Zope Versions, etc

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:49:05 +0100

Jim Fulton wrote:

> So little notice or discussion? When do you think Zope 2.7 will be
> released?

I'll resist the temptation to make somr kind of remark there ;-)

> How much notice to you feel is necessary?

An announcement of some sort would have been nice so that I could have at least
got the tests running using the right version of Python, but...

> No, it wasn't. This was decided before Zope 3 was even known as Zope 3.

Hurm, well, I remember a discussion about Python versions for Zope 3. I wasn't
aware it was a forgone conclusion, so much for a fishbowl :-(

> The Zope 2.7 project description, which has been around for two months
> and which has been noted on a number of lists has always said that it would
> require Python 2.2.

*shrugs*, mea culpa, I must have missed it...

> Sure, but I'll note that I will be 100% opposed to providing any Zope 3
> features in Zope 2 until Python 2.2 is required. Zope 2.7 was going
> to start providing Zope 3 features for Zope 2 to ease migration. We
> can certainly revisit that.

I'll pick my 'but' up here:
...but, I'm still missing reasoning on what the big advantages from Python 2.2
are that make it a requirement rather than just a supported version. The only
thing I can think of is new style classes and the ability to ditch
ExtensionClass. What am I missing?

I do have a bit of a niggle w.r.t. backporting functionality. While this can
only be a good thing, how do other people feel about the possibility that Zope 3
may never actually 'ship' as a result and we end up with a vastly improved Zope
2 line, but still with the cruft that's been there since the dawn of time?

cheers,

Chris