[Zope-Coders] Signal forwarding

Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:52:41 +0100

On Wednesday 09 Oct 2002 4:54 pm, Chris McDonough wrote:

>  TD> This isnt mentioned in CHANGES.txt, and google cant find
>  TD> any other documentation for it.
>
> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/Maintaining=
Zope
>.stx
>
> > Oh my god!
>
> Oh, the drama. ;-)=20

I think he was shocked because google had missed a page ;-)

> Yikes, but it's so useful. :-(  Packing is an administrative function
> and admins can grok signals. They can't really grok setting up a shell
> script to call "manage_pack", though.

Short term, www.zope.org already has two nice howtos for this problem:
http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/cron-zope/News001
http://www.zope.org/Members/fritz/howto_compress_datafs_using_cron

Long term, isnt this under the scope of=20
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/InstallationAndConfiguration
?

Signal numbers are a scarce resource. I think we should conserve signals =
for=20
operations that can not be performed through http (such as restarting the=
=20
server when medusa is wedged)