[Zope-Coders] Rename "Logout" to "Change user"

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:36:08 -0400

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> From: "Jens Vagelpohl" <jens@zope.com>
>
>>it does not "change the user". the immediate result is that it logs you
>>out (-> browser credentials are invalidated and you get the
>>authentication box).
>

> No, the browser credentials aren't invalidated. If you press cancel, you are
> still logged in. There is no such thing as logging out with Simple HTTP
> Authentication, which is why the "Logout" label is confusing. You can
> however login in as another user.

It depends on your browser.  On Mozilla and Netscape, I get logged out
even if I push "cancel".  In fact, if I enter a different user name, it
rejects the new credentials.  It doesn't let me change users.

>>to "change user" you have to take another explicit action (put in new
>>username and password). calling this button "change user" would be more
>>confusing IMHO.
>

> But it is exactly what it does. "Change user" get to a new username and
> login box. You can now either enter a new login and password, and the user
> is changed, or you can press cancel, and the user isn't changed.
>
> This can hardly be more confusing then having a "Logout" choice that doens't
> log you out... :-)

Here are our options:

1) Get all the browsers to recognize a new "logout" HTTP status code.

2) Remove the option entirely, since its behavior is inconsistent.

3) Leave it alone, since it mostly works, and was a highly requested
feature.

I vote for #3. :-)

Shane