[Zope-Coders] Symbolic CVS tags ?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:45:23 -0400

Steve Alexander writes:
 > I'd like to see Zope versions released more often :)

Many of us would!

 > Would it be possible to (somehow) have "symbolic" tag names in cvs, for
 > example:
 >
 >    HEAD

HEAD is already available.

 >    current_unstable
 >    current_maintenance

These aren't, as you knew or wouldn't have asked.  ;-)

 > Then, the instructions for contributors could include these symbolic
 > names, and there would be must less confusion.

The catch, of course, is that these are a different kind of magic than
the existing branch tags, so aren't supported by CVS.  This is a cool
idea, but hacking CVS itself is no trivial thing.

Ken Manheimer writes:
 > I'm going to be out for a few days, so will miss the discussion about
 > this, but i want to chime in and say that something to this effect is
 > probably a Really Good Idea.  And whatever is done, there should
 > probably be a space carved out in http://dev.zope.org/CVS for the
 > "CurrentLandmarks", probably prominent in CommittersGuidelines.
 > (Maybe there's a more conventional name for it than CurrentLandmarks,
 > i can miss the target on that kind of thing.)

Perhaps the best thing is to have a list of branches, where the top of
the list simply states which branches are current for development/
maintenance, and the rest of the list would tell what the various
branches are for.

That seems better than the current situation, at least, and doesn't
require hacking CVS.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>