[Zope-Coders] Symbolic CVS tags ?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
18 Oct 2002 12:00:42 -0400

>  > Would it be possible to (somehow) have "symbolic" tag names in cvs, for
>  > example:
>  >
>  >    HEAD
>  >    current_unstable
>  >    current_maintenance

I think Subversion allows for this by using module aliases.  So for
example, if this were Zope, I think we could make it possible to check
out a Subversion module named "current_unstable" which would be composed
of all the top-level directories which make up the Zope 2.6 branch.
These directories would actually be branches in their own right and
would typically addressed by URLs, e.g.
"http://svn.zope.com/Zope/2_6lib",
"http://svn.zope.com/Zope/2_6utilities",
"http://svn.zope.com/Zope/2_6_pcgi", etc.

Evidently, unlike CVS, Subversion work copies are aware that they are
checking out a module.  If the module definition changes, when people
update, they will see the changes.  See
http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/576/svn-handbook.html#Modules for more info.

I wonder if CVS could be made to work in the same way.  Either solution
would require that a Zope checkout was made up entirely of directories.

- C