[Zope-Coders] extra-clean shutdown, signal handling

Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:23:27 +0000

On Thursday 31 October 2002 3:49 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Alternatively, daemonizing should be done by a shell-level utility,

Are you aware of http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

Ive not used it in anger, but the theory looks nice. It can handle all of=
=20
these issues, plus pid files, restarts, and uid changes.

Is it worth looking at this type of external solution?

> instead of trying to build it in.  I'd be happy (in fact, happier) if
> we had an interface where if you said
>
>   python ZEO/start.py <options>
>
> it ran in the foreground and there was a separate tool
>
>   daemonize python ZEO/start.py <options>
>
> that ran its arguments as a daemon.

I agree.

I think the argument against this is that there wouldnt be a way for=20
"daemonize python ZEO/start.py <options>" to check for bad options and ou=
tput=20
an error message to stdout. The options are checked after surrendering=20
stdout.

Apparently real people cant read error logs :-(