[Zope-Coders] Proposal: put i18n into 2.6

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:04:15 +0000 (UTC)

I'm aware that this probably is going to get shot down, but I feel it is
important:

I'd like to propose including the _current_ 2.7 TAL+ZPT i18n code into
2.6 right now (before the 2.6 beta), with the following changes:

 - do not provide any translation service by default and leave that to
   third party products for now,

 - provide a very simple framework (à la a simple
   registerTranslationService) for third party products to plug in their
   translation service.

The rationale for that proposal is:

 - the code in 2.7 is functional enough (I'm using it in a manner
   described above) and implements most of the spec,

 - there is (and there has been for a long time) a _huge_ need for i18n
   in core Zope, why wait when we have something that works,

 - it doesn't impact people not using i18n tags at all,

 - people using i18n tags but without an external translation service
   wouldn't see any change from current 2.6.

Risks:

 - speed hit in the TAL code itself (negligible I believe)

 - bugs in the current i18n code

I'm volunteering to do the small code integration needed during the
weekend on a branch off Zope-2_6-branch.

Florent