[Zope-Coders] Proposal: put i18n into 2.6

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:50:53 -0700

I am becoming angry to hear that 2.6 and 2.7 will come out close together
and that are only some differences between both versions. From the
maintenance point of view it is hard to keep an overview over
at for different code lines (2.5.X, 2.6, 2.7, HEAD). Fixing bugs
and backporting fixes to other branches will become more complex
and requires more time.  I would like to see the number of different
active branches as low as possible.

Andreas

----- Original Message -----
From: "Casey Duncan" <casey@zope.com>
To: "Florent Guillaume" <fg@nuxeo.com>; <zope-coders@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope-Coders] Proposal: put i18n into 2.6

I believe the plan is for 2.7 and 2.6 to come out very close together. 2.7
will require Python 2.2.x, whereas 2.6 still runs on 2.1.x. Since tal i18n
comes from Zope 3, it requires Python2.2.

Jim's idea is that 2.7 will not differ much feature-wise from 2.6, except
for
a couple of things backported from Zope 3 (tal i18n being one of them). The
major difference will be the Python version supported.

If this proves true, the effort to get tal i18n in Zope 2.6 wouldn't be
fruitful, unless you were bound to Python 2.1.x for some other reason.

At the very least the time between 2.6 and 2.7 will be *much* less then from
2.5 to 2.6.

-Casey