[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope/lib/python/ZPublisher - Converters.py:1.14.8.2

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:46:15 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> 1) Are you sure this was broken?  _updateProperty(), which
> manage_editProperties() calls, converts the type already.

You're right, this bit of the fix is unnecessary, I'll back it out. I might even
optimise _updateProperty while I'm at it, unless anyone can tell me why we need
"type(value)==type('')" rather than "isinstance(value,StringType)".

I'll await a go-ahead and make these changes.

The bug (which I fixed) was that ZPublisher.Converters didn't map 'multiple
selection' to the field-to-list convertor. That meant that if you hit the edit
button in CMF Type Information Objects' Properties tab, you got weird an
wodnerful errors if implicitly addable was unchecked.

> 2) I don't feel good about this going into the 2_5 branch.  We discussed
> recently that the Zope release cycle needs to change in order to squeeze
> out the notion of "hotfixes".  Specifically, only security-related
> bugfixes should go into the 2_5 branch, except when specifically
> approved by Brian.  That enables us to release a micro revision of Zope
> at any time instead of a sysadmin-frightening hotfix, without *any*
> worries of breaking sites.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of this change in policy. Can you elaborate on this
new policy; where should I have checked this in and what should I have done
before merging it to the 2.5 and 2.6 branches. (This is critical fix for a CMF
site I'm currently working on)

My 2p though: I need this fix, does that mean I have to take the much bigger
gamble of going to 2.6.0 from stable 2.5.1, just to get this tiny fix?
(The other option is to remember to keep patching Zope until I have a compelling
reason to move to 2.6.x :-S)

> This change seems like it could break sites.

Only if they relied on this obscure and broken behaviour, which I would be
really suprised to hear of :-S

cheers,

Chris