[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope/lib/python/ZPublisher - Converters.py:1.14.8.2

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:06:53 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>

>> 1) Are you sure this was broken?  _updateProperty(), which
>> manage_editProperties() calls, converts the type already.
>

> You're right, this bit of the fix is unnecessary, I'll back it out. I
> might even optimise _updateProperty while I'm at it, unless anyone can
> tell me why we need "type(value)==type('')" rather than
> "isinstance(value,StringType)".
>
> I'll await a go-ahead and make these changes.

The back-out and the minor cleanup sound good to me.

> The bug (which I fixed) was that ZPublisher.Converters didn't map
> 'multiple selection' to the field-to-list convertor. That meant that if
> you hit the edit button in CMF Type Information Objects' Properties tab,
> you got weird an wodnerful errors if implicitly addable was unchecked.

If adding 'multiple selection' to the converter types is the only
change, I don't think that could hurt.

>> 2) I don't feel good about this going into the 2_5 branch.  We
>> discussed recently that the Zope release cycle needs to change in
>> order to squeeze out the notion of "hotfixes".  Specifically, only
>> security-related bugfixes should go into the 2_5 branch, except when
>> specifically approved by Brian.  That enables us to release a micro
>> revision of Zope at any time instead of a sysadmin-frightening hotfix,
>> without *any* worries of breaking sites.
>

> Fair enough, I wasn't aware of this change in policy. Can you elaborate
> on this new policy; where should I have checked this in and what should
> I have done before merging it to the 2.5 and 2.6 branches. (This is
> critical fix for a CMF site I'm currently working on)

The change in policy isn't official.  I believe, though, that until
2.6.0 is released, any good bugfix should go in the 2.6 branch, while we
have to be very careful about putting bugfixes in the 2.5 branch.  Once
2.6.0 is released, we'll start scrutinizing the 2.6 branch also.

> My 2p though: I need this fix, does that mean I have to take the much
> bigger gamble of going to 2.6.0 from stable 2.5.1, just to get this tiny
> fix?
> (The other option is to remember to keep patching Zope until I have a
> compelling reason to move to 2.6.x :-S)
>
>> This change seems like it could break sites.
>

> Only if they relied on this obscure and broken behaviour, which I would
> be really suprised to hear of :-S

Well, again, if you can fix the bug by only adding 'multiple selection'
to the ZPublisher converter list, the risk seems low and IMHO the 2.5
branch would be fine.

Shane