[Zope-Coders] Proposal: put i18n into 2.6

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:05:25 -0400

[Shane Hathaway]
> I think one thing that holds up releases is the Win32 installer.  Last I
> heard, we use a non-free tool to generate the installer.  I think we
> ought to switch to Inno Setup, which I've used before with great
> success... even through Wine. ;-)

I can confirm that Inno Setup works great, at least on my box <wink>.  We
don't use it for Python only because we have to do quite different things
under the covers for NT/2K/XP boxes depending on whether the user doing the
install has admin privileges, and last time I looked Inno Setup couldn't
handle that short of installing a hairy 3rd-party extension which allowed to
script using an embedded Pascal interpreter(!).  The Wise installer is much
easier to live with if you need to do complicated things; Inno Setup doesn't
even have an "if" construct:

    http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#conditional

Contrarily, for a straightforward install Inno is much easier to live with
than Wise -- driven by a plain text config file, everything "makes sense",
and WYSIWYG.  Note that Fred uses Inno to build the Windows installer for
the expat project.

BTW, also note that distutils can build a Windows installer!  They have the
property that they work or they don't <wink>.