[Zope-Coders] Wrapping lines in zLOG?

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:25:27 +0100

On Tuesday 17 Sep 2002 4:40 am, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I've had the, um, pleasure of having to stare at log files generated
> by zLOG a lot lately.  I really hate to look at long lines that are
> wrapped without respect for word boundaries, and I equally hate having
> to stretch my Emacs window to view files with such long lines.
>
> So I added a text wrapping feature to zLOG/MinimalLogger.py.  It uses
> the textwrap module which is available only in CVS Python (aka Python
> 2.3).  With wrapping, the log file looks like this:

Performing line wrapping inside the logging backend seems like a good thi=
ng.

Zope has some LOG calls which include \n and \t in the message string, to=
=20
manually line wrap. This means you get line wrapping even in logging back=
ends=20
where it is not wanted, such as syslog.

Can we now consider removing the \n and \t from those format strings?