[Zope-Coders] Proposal: put i18n into 2.6

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:09:21 -0400

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
>
> I've put a description of the hook in the fishbowl:
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/GlobalZPTTranslationServiceHook

Great. Thanks for putting this together. Please see the comments I made there.

> As for a translation facility, the Persistent Translation Service
> I've written, http://www.zope.org/Members/efge/PersistentTranslationService
> will use the hook more cleanly in its 0.2 version. This products uses
> Localizer's message catalogs (allowing TTW edition) to provide placeful
> translation services.

Great. This will be critical for testing the I18n integration during the
beta period.

How is (target) language negotiation done? Does localizer do this?
Does localizer depend on global-variable hacks to get at the request?

> Regarding speed issues, I've never benched ZPT speed so I'd prefer to
> leave that to someone experienced.

OK, we'll do some basic testing of performance. Hopefully, some others
can help with this.

Jim