[Zope-Coders] Win32 builds

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:19:44 -0700

> The win32 binary uses a templated version for reasons too horrible to
> mention (and possibly for reasons that are no longer a problem). Someone
> with some time and some Zen needs to look at that (there's that time
> thing again...).

I hope at least its keeping up with any changes to the z2.py in cvs, or do
we just wait for chrism ;)  Since I'm trying to build Plone installers, I
cant really be sure I have the correct windows build until I see the beta
and ensure that things like z2.py are as they should be.

> Sure it can be built from source. Can it be _run_? I dunno :) That's
> why I've been droning on that we need to take the time to think things
> through as the various efforts to revamp installation / startup move
> forward.

For me I guess the main point is that I should be able to check out the Zope
source from cvs, build it and run it without using Cygwin. It can be built,
but it *cant* be run. z2.py in cvs will not work on windows as it happily
tries to import posix. Its a simple fix which will apply and see if I can
find any more issues next time I try.

> Right now, you could probably run under cygwin, but I'd bet you can
> build and run a source release in plain 'ol win32. Maybe it's ok that
> you can't build and run a source release under plain win32, but I'd
> like to make sure that is an explicit decision, not an accident.

If its decided Cygwin is mandated, fair enough, but at the moment it isn't
and I don't see an obvious need for it. If z2.py is the only problem it
sounds like just need to fix this and we should be ok.
--
  Andy McKay
  www.agmweb.ca