[Zope-Moz] Re: [Zope] RDF Use cases

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:06:02 +0530

Hi Martijn,

Thanks for the explanation. It has made things a lot clearer. I think I
had missed the line between the RDF data model and XML(serialization).

> SC> Also, why not have the Zope Studio also query and manipulate the
Zope
> SC> objects through RDF only (vs having some other interface).
>
> Because we want to keep Zope as open as possible. RDF would be one way
> of representing Zope data. WebDAV another. XML-RPC is one way of
> manipulating Zope, SOAP another.

I didn't mean to say that Zope stop supporting other standards, but that
the _Zope_Studio_ that's being designed use the Zope RDF model to
manipulate the Zope installation. This is the way it's going already (it
seems) which makes the suggestion redundant.

> But we can pull the RDF into Mozilla, and Mozilla allows you to query
> the RDF datamodel, and manipulate it. With XUL, the cross-platform
> user interface modeling language implemented in Mozilla, we can then
> display the data in the RDF, and allow a user to interact with it.
> Changes to the RDF datamodel can be detected, and then we can act upon
> those changes, by for example sending an XML-RPC call to the Zope
> server. This could be a way of implementing Visual Zope. We will
> however, think about how we would propagate changes in Zope (by other
> users or processes), into the datamodel in the browser.

I looked at the mozilla interfaces for RDF and am beginning to see where
all this is headed. The bits are slowly falling into place and I need to
read a lot more now.

> XML-RPC is one way of
> manipulating Zope, SOAP another.

From what I know, SOAP is a sort of specialized XML-RPC. So if Zope will
support SOAP, it will support XML-RPC too?

Thanks,
~Shalabh