[Zope-Moz] Design discussion (was RDF Use cases)

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 02:05:56 +0530

Hi Martijn,

Here are the four Use Case examples you gave:-
>     - RDF Sitemaps. The browser of visitor of a Zope generated website
>     can retrieve a RDF Sitemap of the website, for presentation to the
>     visitor. For a preliminary specification of RDF Sitemaps, see:
>
>       http://rudolf.opensource.ac.uk/about/specs/sitemap.html
>
>     - Content syndication. A website administrator makes some of its
>     content available via a RDF datasource.
>
>     - Metadata embedded in HTML. HTML pages returned from Zope have
>     embedded in their header an RDF description of the document,
>     including information on author, language, publisher, etc. This
>     could be based on the Dublin Core metadata proposal.
>
>     - Advanced management of Zope objects. When describing the
>     contents of a ZODB database in RDF, RDF clients like Mozilla can
>     query and manipulate these contents with alternate interfaces.

They fall into two categories:-
-For website use - this will be used by visitors to the website that has been
created. These just provide some information.
  The first three above fall in this category.
-For Zope use - the Zope administrator/developer will (directly or indirectly)
use this for management/extension of Zope itself.
  The fourth case above falls in this category.

More Use Cases for category I.:-
These are not my ideas. I've just picked them up from other online docs.
 -P3P: Privacy Practices for a website can be provided in RDF form. The w3c has
been working on this:
http://www.w3.org/Privacy/Activity
http://www.w3.org/P3P/

 -Digital Signatures. Web objects can be signed, and so an RDF can provide
information about the signatures on an online object. The w3c page:-
http://www.w3.org/Signature/

-Website statistics: The traffic statistics available as RDF data. (This one's
original:)

Use Cases for category II:-
You've covered almost everything here with that one generic use case above.
Should we try to derive specilized use cases from that?

Further thoughts:
The category I use cases are useful only for widely used standard schemas (eg:
RSS). They won't be very difficult to implement anyway (I think).
Category II is where the real power can be unleashed.

Cheers,
~Shalabh