[Zope-Moz] Re. mozillation project?

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:08:52 +0530

Jerry Spicklemire :
> Martijn Pieters wrote:
>
> >There may be some interesting uses for RDF inference in Zope Studio, but I
> >haven't thought of anything compelling enough to add a dependency to a
> >third-party additional component yet.
> >
> >So, for now, it doesn't affect us.
>
> On the other hand, consider the possibility of providing a GUI Builder with
> user selectable widgets, which generate component descriptions in a very
> high level, declarative language.

(Disclaimer: I do not fully understand the mozillation project or the inference
facilities it provides)

Could you elaborate on this? How different would these widgets be from the
usual GUI widgets (buttons, editboxes etc)? Why is a high-level declarative
lanugage needed?

> The resulting application would in effect
> be the interpretation of the composite GUI, built by inference from
> patterns within the Zope Studio RDF. Maybe even the Widgets themselves
> could be built this way, so that a customizable, "standard" tool set can be
> available to all content managers of a site.

I'm not sure if a full-fledged inference engine is required for doing something
like this. The way I see it - currently the components used to create an
application in Zope are at a much 'higher lever' than those that Zope provides.
Are you talking of providing the user with 'higher-level' components to build
appications?

If you look at the mokups[1] - in the top left panel there is a tab 'drop-in
components'. There is no description about it anywhere but I think it will
provide some components that are not from Zope's 'basic set'. These will be
build out of the 'basic set' of components. The users will probably be able to
add their components to the drop-in components.

[1] http://www.zope.org/Resources/Mozilla/Projects/MozillaOME/Mockups

Shalabh
Shalabh Chaturvedi
http://advogato.org/person/shalabh/