[Zope-Moz] Re: Re. mozillation project?

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 18:42:33 +0530

Jerry Spicklemire wrote:

> Very interesting! The RIPP stuff that Phillip Eby and Ty Sarna are lloking
> at,
> part of which is used in PTKs LoginManager seems to be headed in the same
> same general direction. Especially:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/pje/SWARM/AspectObjects
>
> has implications for all types of OO Application Methodology. That is,
> diligent
> separation of Objects yields optimal re-usability.

The interface and implementation being a bit tightly coupled in existing Zope
products, we are going to run into problems trying to integrate the existing
products with ZopeStudio.

In the current html management interface, management and editing of objects is
closely tied to html. A class defines it's 'manage_options' as a list of
(label, action) pairs where the action is a method that produces _html_.
Usually the html is some kind of form which is used by the user to edit the
object. The semantics of _what_ the contents of the object are and how the form
provides an edit interface are not visible (and cannot be inferred from the
html). Since the creator of a class knows his objects, he designs the edit
pages accordingly.

ZopeStudio needs to provide another interface for editing the same objects.We
know about DTMLDocuments and DTMLMethods so we can create appropriate
'bindings' for editing through ZopeStudio (not without effort, though) . But
what about other objects?

Hmm.. it appears that SWARM might provide a solution to this problem in the
future. Since separating interface from implementation is a key theme of SWARM.
Very interesting indeed!

Shalabh