[Zope-Moz] ANNOUNCE: Zope management tree in Mozilla

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:00:25 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: Martijn Pieters <mj@digicool.com>
> From: Shalabh Chaturvedi [mailto:shalabh@pspl.co.in]
<snipped>
> > I've worked more on this and produced an 'explorer-like' view of the
> > Zope intallation.
> > Here's a screenshot :
> > http://www.zope.org/Members/shalabh/Mozilla/zide/zide.gif
> > Get the entire thing here:
> > http://www.zope.org/Members/shalabh/Mozilla/zide
> >
> > Martijn : should we merge this into your stream?
> >

> This is perfect. With your permission, I do want to take your code and
> go along this path.

Sure. I hereby grant you permission ;-).
I am an ignoramus on license issues, though - maybe you can mention if
there are any.

I think there are some design issues with the way it is now, though.
Please look at my comments:
http://www.zope.org/Members/shalabh/Mozilla/zide/underthehood
if you haven't already. They're towards the end of the page.

> Ideas:
>
> - Include a toolbar, menus and contextual menus. They don't have to be
> functional yet, their just there for the idea, and to see what kind of
> commands we can come up with.

This one's simple.

> - The right hand side view, and the available commands for each object
> should be dependant on the kind of object displayed/selected. This
list
> should in the future probably come from each object type itself. The
RDF
> for the object should next to the ID, Title, Metatype and Last
Modified
> date also include a seeAlso URL attribute pointing to the command RDF
> structure.

This brings out another point - we would need our own namespace. I
suggest you come up with any url under www.zope.org that we can use as a
namespace uri. We can then define elements which dont exist in the
Dublin Core, RDF and others.

> If no such attribute is present, then the original HTML management
> interface of the object should be displayed.
>
> - Implement double-clicking on items in the right hand side view,
which
> then can open new windows for showing edit views of the items.
> Right-hand clicking and menu/toolbar options can take care of views
like
> permissions and properties.

These ideas seem to be the way to do it. Along the way we also need to
decide what all different kinds of windows
(edit/properties/security/custom) it would throw up and what exactly
would they contain. Maybe we should collect all these at one place?

Also, what will be the process for further code development?

Shalabh