[Zope-Moz] Zope preferences in Mozilla

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 01:57:16 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: Martijn Pieters <mj@digicool.com>

                            <snipped>

> > Some questions arise I have not yet answered:
> >
> > * Have a separate Prefs panel than Mozila's or add a Zope
> > section in the
> > Moz. one ? The first approach is probably best.
> >

> If the preferences relate to ZopeStudio, the Mozilla preferences window
> is probably a good place for this, yes. Individual Zope server prefs
> should go into a separate dialog box within ZopeStudio, I'd say.

I don't really see anyone using Zope Studio booting mozilla into the normal
'navigator' mode to set preferences for Zope Studio. I feel that all
preferences for both the Studio and individual servers should be configurable
from within Zope Studio itself. There could be one menu item for general
preferences and another for setting preferences for the zope server in
context (identified by which server is selected in the treeview).

> At the moment no scope has been set for what ZopeStudio is about. I am
> exploring alternatives for the current web interface, but new ways of
> managing Zope Servers could well be part of the project.
>
> > * Can we build a list of what can be the Zope prefs ?
> > Enable/Disable FTP ?
> > Enable/Disable Designer mode ?
> > Client Side Security (Future ?) ?
> > Startup (Zope related) options
>
> These prefs are Zope Server related, and should therefore be presented
> in a dialog box for each Zope Server. I envision ZopeStudio being able
> to handle more than one Zope Server at a time.

I support the idea too (for managing multiple zope servers). This seems to be
the most simple way to do it:
The multiple servers connected to at a time can be shown as different
'top-level' treeitems in the 'treeview' (now we need a new icon). Each of
these will have their subtree of objects under them. There could be menu items
'connect' (which pops up a box and asks the server to connect to) and
'disconnect', to add and remove servers from the treeview. We would need to
rename the 'Zope:Treeroot' URI in the RDF to something like
'machine_name:Zope:Treeroot' so that we can use more than one zope treeroot
datasource in the same tree widget.

While I'm at it, I'd like to present a draft design of the main menu I had
come up with. Suggestions are welcome. Here it is:-
( '---' is menuseparator. Number of '+'s define level of menuitem. )

Zope
+ Conenct...
+ Disconnect
+ ---
+ Refresh
+ ---
+ Exit

Edit
+ Cut
+ Copy
+ Paste
+ ---
+ Rename...

Object
+ New
+     +DTML Document
+     +DTML Method
+     + (and so on...)
+
+ Edit
+ View
+ ---
+ Properties
+ Security
+ ---
+ Import...
+ Export...

Tools
+ Find...
+ ---
+ New Product
+ ---
+ Undo...
+ Pack Database...
+ Set Cache Parameters...

Help
+ Contents
+ ---
+ About

Many of these will be enabled/disabled depending on the item selected in the
'detailsview' or 'treeview'. Many would also be available as context menus.

Also, I suggest that we use the same names for our 'glossary' of terms and the
ids of XUL widgets.

Shalabh