[Zope-Moz] Zope preferences in Mozilla

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:44:31 -0500

Welcome aboard! Have a look at my previous email, and ZopeStudio as it
stands, so you get an idea what's happening. If you have problems with
the CVS, contact me directly, and I'll send you a tarball.

We are currently experimenting with Mozilla, exploring its boundaries
and possibilities.

> Some questions arise I have not yet answered:
>
> * Have a separate Prefs panel than Mozila's or add a Zope
> section in the
> Moz. one ? The first approach is probably best.

If the preferences relate to ZopeStudio, the Mozilla preferences window
is probably a good place for this, yes. Individual Zope server prefs
should go into a separate dialog box within ZopeStudio, I'd say.

At the moment no scope has been set for what ZopeStudio is about. I am
exploring alternatives for the current web interface, but new ways of
managing Zope Servers could well be part of the project.

> * Can we build a list of what can be the Zope prefs ?
> Enable/Disable FTP ?
> Enable/Disable Designer mode ?
> Client Side Security (Future ?) ?
> Startup (Zope related) options

These prefs are Zope Server related, and should therefore be presented
in a dialog box for each Zope Server. I envision ZopeStudio being able
to handle more than one Zope Server at a time.

> I can try prototyping such a preferences panel as soon as I know your
> thoughts about it, and if there is information related in the current
> project's documentation.

Current documentation is still sparse. The mailing list and the zope.org
Mozilla pages are all we have right now. Watch this space, and the CVS,
for more developments.

As for documentation on the Mozilla Preference panel, the following
documents were recently announced on the Mozilla news groups:

  http://www.mozilla.org/xpapps/components/

The thread resulting from this announcement was also very interesting,
discussing how to add preference panes dynamically:

  http://www.deja.com/viewthread.xp?AN=569479218

--
Martijn Pieters, Software Engineer
http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8A32149