[Zope-Moz] some thoughts about zope-moz and some really blue sky stuff

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:56:05 +0100

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Paul Everitt <Paul@digicool.com>
Aan: Shalabh Chaturvedi <shalabh@pspl.co.in>; zope-mozilla@zope.org
<zope-mozilla@zope.org>
Datum: maandag 6 maart 2000 15:46
Onderwerp: RE: [Zope-Moz] some thoughts about zope-moz and some really blue
sky stuff

Shalabh wrote:
> I'm not clear about what exactly do 'end users' and
> 'developers' want to do.
> Why can't ZS be used by end users? What do they want? How
> would they work with
> Zope?

I also worry about this.  Dreamweaver is awfully powerful, but everytime
I sit down in front of it, I get the feeling of, "Where do I start?"

If ZS winds up being Dreamweaver and not FrontPage (or even lower), then
we'll be cutting out the content manager (end user).

Thus, it's important to make sure we have our target set correctly.  I
think the target should scale from:

a. People that are familiar with HTML, up to...

b. People that could become productive in Dreamweaver in a day, and
would enjoy it.

I'm not sure that Zope Product Developers is the right target.  What do
others think?

[RH] Hm, I think it will be awfully difficult to target anyone other than
proper developers as long as you count on them being able to factor out
common behaviour. As Zope stands it is already usable with FrontPage or
(better) HomeSite. It's just that ordinary users (content managers) get
1) awfully confused by anything that has anything that has code in it (even
something as simple as <dtml standard_html_header>)
2) want to start changing layout at every cost (they think in
wordprocessors, not code)
Believe me, I have seen them (and see them everyday).
Is is not that they are not able to edit code, they do not see the need to
edit code. They have never ever heard of code and think everything not text
related is either scary or nonsense (or scary nonsense)

(actually this was at the basis of my recent posts about object based Zope
editing and the need for letting content managers _only_ fill in the parts
they are allowed to fill in. Actually a rendered form acting like a template
would not be a bad idea...)

Rik