[Grok-dev] Re: timte-json branch

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Mar 25 11:47:32 EDT 2007

Tim Terlegård wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 01:16:52AM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Tim Terlegård wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Edit bin/test and change
>>>  '/home/tim/dev/grok/fortesting/parts/zope3/src' to
>>>  '/home/tim/dev/grok/fortesting/parts/zope3/lib/python'
>> I'm not sure what's up with the testrunner and grokproject - if it ships
>> with a bin/test that doesn't work out of the box, we do have a problem
>> though, so let us know if that's the case (and add a launchpad issue).
>
> grok trunk uses the zc.repice.zope3checkout recipe to just checkout the
> zope3 source to 'src'. grokproject uses the zc.recipe.cmmi recipe to
> download a tarball and install that in 'lib/python'.

Yup. The problem is that the testrunner recipe assumes 'src' (from a
checkout) and can't deal with 'lib/python' (yet).

> Is the difference that zc.recipe.cmmi will compile C extensions and be
> faster than the pure python code checkout? Or are there other
> differences?

The difference is that cmmi will download a release tarball and compile
that, as opposed to doing a subversion checkout of Zope 3. If we'd use
the checkout recipe in grokproject, people would have to have subversion
installed. They would also be developing against the Zope 3.3 HEAD.

> I guess the buildout in grok trunk is for development and
> that speed is no issue, but grokproject is used for serving an
> application and would benefit from a little boost?

It has little to do with speed. The idea is that we want grokproject
sandboxes use a release tarball.