[Grok-dev] bootstrap error [was: Relooking at Grok]

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Mon Jul 16 10:43:23 UTC 2012

Hi Sylvain,

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:42:49 +0200 Sylvain Viollon wrote:

> Op 15 jul 2012, om 17:42 heeft Uli Fouquet het volgende geschreven:

(your Dutch is making progress ;-)

>> I'm afraid there's not much we can do from the Grok-side about this (or
>> could we?).
>
>   I personally have a bootstrap.py that directly creates the virtualenv, this
> problem is common, when someone tells it's broken I first ask them to run
> with the --virtualenv option. That solves 90% of the problems. We could do
> it by default:
>
>    https://svn.infrae.com/buildout/silva/trunk/bootstrap.py

Great! And much better readable than the default bootstrap.py :-)

>    (You might want to tweak the options if you want to use it).

If installing a virtualenv is still recommended (and from my point of
view it is), we could make it the default (turning ``--virtualenv`` into
``--no-virtualenv``).

Beside this we might want an additional ``--download-base`` option to
allow download from other locations than PyPI.

What would be the cons/side-effects?

Best regards,

--
Uli