[Gsoc] Vudo mentorship

Malthe Borch mborch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:18:07 EST 2008

On 04/03/2008, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> You mention eggs and entry points, but you also mention TTW plugins.
>  Could you explain
>  what this means? Is this a way to enable a pre-existing egg as a
>  plugin in a TTW interface,
>  or is this a way to actually develop an application at run-time? If
>  this supports actual TTW development
>  activities in some form, how would this be related to eggs and entry
>  points at all?

I'd like to extend a running application in a way that plays nicely
with both the component architecture and setuptools. The extensions
are typically released as eggs and can either be uploaded or pulled
automatically from the application itself.

As I understand it, entry points can be used to define setup and
tear-down procedures for a package among other things.

So it's about deployment and not about development. This can be
thought of as a TTW-supplement to buildout, where the entry points
would be used to run configuration slugs.

>  (I didn't see the acronym SaaS before, so you made me google for it.
>  Software as a service)

Yeah I guess that was a buzz-word, but I'm serious. I'd like to spawn
a vudo-instance and not have to visit the filesystem to extend it.

\malthe

  mail: mborch at gmail.com
  homepage: zeitmaschine.dk