[Zope-dev] Does ZServer support persistant TCP connections? Does it close them?

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 16:14:13 -0700

Hi Brad,

I am so far unable to reproduce your problem...

On 2 Aug 99, at 15:55, Brad Clements wrote:
>> Can anyone say right away if ZServer supports persistant connections, and
>> if yes, what's the timeout.

Yes. There is no timeout that I am aware of, except the normal http_server
zombie timeout of 30 minutes.

>More info on this:
>
>1. I changed http_server.py done() to have close_it = 1, assuming that
>all tcp connections will be closed after each request.
>
>that has no effect on the problem

This maybe because ZServer largely overrides medusa's http server settings.
You may have more luck hacking ZServer/HTTPResponse.py

>2. using netstat -an, I can see that even with close_it = 1, ie5 keeps 2
>connections open to the server and they're ESTABLISHED.
>
>As soon as the connections go to TIME_WAIT, IE5 will hang. I'm not
>sure which end is closing the connection.
>
>3. After the original connection goes to TIME_WAIT, I make a request
>from IE5 and see the long delay, netstat shows that a new connection
>has been opened, but there is still a long delay getting a reply from the
>server.
>
>4. If I open another connection from another browser, the "hanging"
>connection "wakes up" and services the request.

Hmm. This info is a bit over my head, I'll ask Sam if he has any ideas
about what this means.

Thanks for the detailed information, hopefully it will allow us to find a
solution to this problem.

-Amos