[Zope] zope access to external files

Ricardo Anguiano anguiano@codesourcery.com
04 Mar 2003 09:29:02 -0800

Greetings All,

Some stats on my (stale, and soon to be updated) setup:

     Zope Version
     (Zope 2.4.1 (binary release, python 2.1, linux2-x86), python 2.1.0, linux2)
     Python Version
     2.1 (#2, Jun 22 2001, 10:20:42) [GCC 2.7.2.3]
     System Platform
     linux2

I have a couple of objectives:

        1. I want to restrict file access by user.

        2. I want to serve objects from zope to accomplish objective
           #1 above, but I want the objects to be in the filesystem.

           I want to be able to say, "The contents of directory X are
           available only to user Y."

I looked through the list of products in the "External Access"
category and there were a couple of good candidates.  The localfs
listing was hard to find but it did turn up in a faq somewhere.

     http://www.zope.org/Members/arielpartners/ExternalFile
     http://www.zope.org/Members/MacGregor/ExtFile
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/localfs

Questions:

     Can anyone recommend one of these products over the other?
     Will they let me do what I describe?
     Are there products which are a better fit?
     Is there an easier/better way?

My apologies if this has been answered in the mailing list recently.
An archives search did not turn up anything.

Thanks in advance,
--
Ricardo Anguiano
http://www.codesourcery.com