[Zope-Coders] Linux Test Results - Zope HEAD - OK :-)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 08:20:54 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>

>> I agree, Zope 2.7 will require 2.2.1. OTOH, perhaps there should have
>> been
>> some warning so that the testers could upgrade their Python version. :)
>

> This feels pretty bogus to me :-(
>
> What are the massive advantages of Python 2.2.x that necessitate such a
> big change with so little notice or discussion?

So little notice or discussion? When do you think Zope 2.7 will be released?
How much notice to you feel is necessary?

> Zope 3's requirement for Python 2.2 was broadly discussed on the mailing
> lists,

No, it wasn't. This was decided before Zope 3 was even known as Zope 3.

 > I don't ever remember such a discussion about the Zope 2 CVS HEAD
> or 2.7, whatever mythical code base you choose to attach that label to...

The Zope 2.7 project description, which has been around for two months
and which has been noted on a number of lists has always said that it would
require Python 2.2.

> Can we at least have some discussion before this decision is layed down
> in stone?

Sure, but I'll note that I will be 100% opposed to providing any Zope 3
features in Zope 2 until Python 2.2 is required. Zope 2.7 was going
to start providing Zope 3 features for Zope 2 to ease migration. We
can certainly revisit that.

Jim