[Zope-Coders] Proposal: put i18n into 2.6

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:41:48 -0400

I'm jumping into this a bit late, so rather than respond to individual
messages, I'll just make a few points and suggestions.

- There hasn't been a 2.6 beta, so it is not too late to get this in.
   We all want 2.6 to get out soon, so we should resist new features for it,
   but I think that this is a justifyable addition.

- Originally, 2.7 was supposed to be out in August. I'm sad to say that, due
   factors beyond my control, it won't be out any time soon. :(

- Even though I only speak English, I think I18n is very important. That's why
   ZC invested a lot of effort in putting the I18n extension to ZPT together.

Let's try to get Florent's patches into 2.6.

Florent, we need more information about the translation hooks. Could you describe
these please, preferably in a fishbowl proposal?

Is there anything to hook up to the hooks today?  I think it's silly to put this
into place if there isn't at least a prototype translation facility to try it out
with. The initial translation facility doesn't have to be includede in Zope 2.6,
but it should be available for testing with 2.6 duringf the beta period.

Someone needs to measure the performance impact, if any, of the changes in the absense of
a translation facility. There are two cases to consider:

1. A page templates has no I18n markup.

2. A page template has I18n markup, but there isn't a translation facility hooked up.

If we want to get this into 2.6, we need to move quickly.

Jim