[Zope-Coders] Win32 builds

Brian Lloyd brian@zope.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:42:52 -0400

> So now the beta's out and its fresh in the person who did its mind (Matt)
> did anything get written down about how to it's done someone externally
> could do it?

There's not _that_ much to it - the main problem right now is that
the release-making scripts rely on a CVS repository for the binaries
that is currently internal. It wouldn't be a whole lot of work to
move it, but the people who could do it are pretty swamped - probably
too swamped to get to it real soon :(

I'll put it on the todo list. Once the repository is moved, the
steps boil down to:

  - checkout the right branch on win32

  - build binaries with MSVC++

  - check binaries into the repository

  - run a release-making .py file (also in the internal repository
    right now), which produces a .tgz file

  - copy the .tgz to a win32 box with WISE, expand

  - open the WISE install script, bump the version and make
    sure nothing else changed in the distribution that WISE
    needs to know about (very rare)

  - run the install builder

  - Bob is your uncle :)

> And secondly what the heck is going on with z2.py?

The win32 binary uses a templated version for reasons too horrible to
mention (and possibly for reasons that are no longer a problem). Someone
with some time and some Zen needs to look at that (there's that time
thing again...).

> <snip>
>
> This sort of implies to me that zope cant be built from source on
> Windows...
> ;)

Sure it can be built from source. Can it be _run_? I dunno :) That's
why I've been droning on that we need to take the time to think things
through as the various efforts to revamp installation / startup move
forward.

Right now, you could probably run under cygwin, but I'd bet you can
build and run a source release in plain 'ol win32. Maybe it's ok that
you can't build and run a source release under plain win32, but I'd
like to make sure that is an explicit decision, not an accident.

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com