[Zope-Moz] SURVEY: What people can do

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 06:51:47 -0500

Shalabh Chaturvedi wrote:
> How much architecture of the 'Zope Studio' has been designed? Or will it
> be done thru this list or internally by DC?

The Zope Studio _will be_ designed, which is why you see "inception"
documents.  We have settled on a process methodology and the UML as ways
to capture requirements and create a design.

However, rather than start the process at DC with a bunch of internal
emails in the beginning, this is a project where we'd like to "work in
the fishbowl" at an early stage.

Also, this is a different kind of project, where there is a big new
platform with lots of architectural opportunities.  We'd like everybody
on this list to help investigate these opportunities and help us
interpret what makes sense.

Finally, we intentionally broke this project into a number of
subprojects so that the Zope community could take over on new ideas.
We'll take a strong hand in creating the architecture, particularly the
architecture in Zope, that makes an advanced management environment
possible.  But there is a LOT of room at the table for others.

In fact, I'm surprised no one has sent in a URL yet that, when you visit
it in Mozilla, does something neat with Zope.

Thus, here's a challenge to get us started out.  I'd like to see someone
send a URL to a Zope, say a /manage2, that:

  o returns data as XML

  o uses a cacheable CSS stylesheet to render XML into something visual

No XUL, no RDF, so nothing dramatic.  Just DTML that sets the
Content-Type to text/xml, points to a style sheet, calls objectValues
and returns the folder contents as an XML data stream.  I'm curious
about how much on-the-wire traffic this will save.

--Paul