[Zope-Moz] Mockups and status

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 10:49:55 -0500

Martijn wrote:
> They are real objects, with some way to determine what
> parameters they need.
> The propertyview on the bottom right hand side can then be used to set
> parameters on those components once they
> are in a document.

We need to be careful about how central of an idea this becomes, as this
is a definate change to the way Zope is approached.  I don't think
redesigning the idioms of Zope should be in the scope of the ZopeStudio
project, no matter how appealing it is, because it makes the risks go
through the roof.  Obviously this is a slippery slope, as I'm also one
advocating things like attaching notes to things and alerts.

> >  o  Could the 'view' be a tab? I know there's some small
> button there but
> >      shouldn't we also have it as a tab? Then it would be a
> set of tabs at
> the
> >      bottom which do different things with the current
> object and the tabs
> >      at the top as they are for switching between objects.
> >

> I like the buttons better, they take less space, and make it
> less confusing.
> I've wanted to swith to different documents in other editors,
> expecting tabs
> to do that for me, and getting a different view instead. Frustrating.

I believe that GL and DW use a drop-down select box to switch between
"modes".

What are the modes that we have?

  o Browsing.  A view mode just like regular people see.

  o Design.  A layout mode that includes controls for modifying.

  o Source.  Self-explanatory.

Any others?  Should their be:

  o Manage.  Give the varous options and knobs on a big page with lots
of explanatory text.

> >  o  The mini object bowser is a real killer!
> >

> =) Maybe it'll take too much space like this, we might want
> to split the
> tree into a drop-down box (if this is possible at all), and
> show th currenly
> selected folder instead. Not very clear where you are then, though.

Right.  I worry that this won't really work without a big area to put it
in.

> > Object Browser:
> >  o   I didn't like the 'Location' as a toolbar. Makes it
> look like a web
> >       browser and I wouldn't change the location very much
> too. Why don't
> >       we just have it through the Server menu?
> >

> We can drop it. It is just there now, so I put it in in the mockup.

Think this bears some more thought.

> >  o  A (provision for a) Flash Panel here too? It shows
> 'server level'
> >      information so I think it belongs here althogh users
> will mostly be
> in the
> >      main interface. So it could be available in both places.
> >

> Hmm.... I like the unclutteredness of the object browser.

I think being alerted to flashes can be very powerful for group
development.

--Paul