[Zope-Moz] Mockups and status

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:45:39 +0530

Paul Everitt wrote:

> We need to be careful about how central of an idea this becomes, as this
> is a definate change to the way Zope is approached.  I don't think
> redesigning the idioms of Zope should be in the scope of the ZopeStudio
> project, no matter how appealing it is, because it makes the risks go
> through the roof.

(Sigh) I'm heartbroken. But you're right (about the risks). Maybe not a goal
for ZS1.0 but I feel there should be a different paradigm for creating
applications with Zope. If some changes to core Zope in this direction would
help not only ZS but also other applications (PTK, ...) we could start putting
them in and using them when they stabilize.

>              Obviously this is a slippery slope, as I'm also one
> advocating things like attaching notes to things and alerts.

These things don't need changes to Zope. They would just use the existing Zope
system to provide useful functionality (like using some property to store
notes).
I think these are _very_ important additions as they add a lot of value. How
many ppl wanting notes would be currently using a text property ? Not many.
Similarly if a specific folder is treated specially by ZS (eg: for sharing
information/alerts among users) and a panel in the UI interpreted the contents
of the folder - it would again serve a very useful purpose without any changes
to Zope.

> I believe that GL and DW use a drop-down select box to switch between
> "modes".
>
> What are the modes that we have?
>
>   o Browsing.  A view mode just like regular people see.
>
>   o Design.  A layout mode that includes controls for modifying.
>
>   o Source.  Self-explanatory.
>
> Any others?  Should their be:
>
>   o Manage.  Give the varous options and knobs on a big page with lots
> of explanatory text.

I didn't understand this. Options and knobs for what ?

> > >[Shalabh:] Object Browser:
> > >  o   I didn't like the 'Location' as a toolbar. Makes it
> > >       look like a web
> > >       browser and I wouldn't change the location very much
> > >       too. Why don't
> > >       we just have it through the Server menu?
> > >
> > [Martijn:]
> > We can drop it. It is just there now, so I put it in in the mockup.
>
> Think this bears some more thought.

We would need something to allow multiple zope servers but I would prefer
either tabs on the tree side or the tree itself (with zope servers being the
top level nodes) for this purpose.

Cheers,
Shalabh